GK Newsboard May 2020
Please Click Here To Download PDF Copy of Monthly GK NewsBoard May 2020
Some Highlights of GK NewsBoard May 2020
1. Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore
National Gallery of Modern Art will organise the Virtual Tour titled “Gurudev – Journey of the Maestro through his visual vocabulary”
from 7th May 2020 to commemorate the 159th birth anniversary of Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore.
More On This:
Popularly known as ‘Gurudev’, he was born in an affluent Family. Tagore was primarily known as a writer, poet, playwright,
philosopher and aesthetician, music composer and choreographer, founder of a unique educational institution – Visva- Bharati and
• Tagore began writing poetry at the tender age of eight years old and at 16 years of age, Tagore released his first collection of
poems under the pen name ‘Bhanusimha’.
• He had spoken at the World Parliament for Religions in the years 1929 and 1937.
• He wrote the National Anthems of India and Bangladesh.
• He left his imprint on art and played a role in transforming its practices and ushering into modernism.
• Between 1928 and 1940, Rabindranath painted more than 2000 images. He never gave any title to his paintings.
• Expressionism in European art and the primitive art of ancient cultures inspired him.
In 1913, he became the first Indian to receive a Nobel Prize in Literature for his novel ‘Geetanjali’. He denounced British
imperialism, yet he did not fully support or agree with Gandhi and his Non-cooperation Movement.
2. Kailash-Mansarovar Yatra and border area connectivity
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh on May 8 inaugurated 80km long road that will curtail the Kailash-Mansarovar pilgrimage time.
The road link is from Dharchula (Uttarakhand) to Lipulek (China Border).
More On This:
With this connectivity, there will be a new era for Kailash-Mansarovar Yatra and border area connectivity. The event took place
through video conferencing in which he also flagged off a convoy of vehicles from Pithoragarh to Gunj.
• Shri Rajnath Singh on the occasion said that the Central Government and PM Narendra Modi have a special vision regarding
the development of the rural areas.
• Shri Rajnath Singh stated that with the completion of the road link, the dreams of local people and pilgrims have been fulfilled.
He also said the local trade and economic growth in the region will see a boost with this roadway.
• Since the pilgrimage to Kailash-Mansarovar has been sacred, with the completion of this road, the yatra can be completed in
just one week which earlier took 2-3 weeks.
The event of road inauguration has been attended by Chief of Defence Staff General Bipin Rawat, Defence Secretary Dr. Ajay
Kumar, Chief of Army Staff General MM Naravane, Lok Sabha MP from Almora (Uttarakhand) Shri Ajay Tamta, BRO and
Senior officials of Defence Ministry