The National Law University and Judicial Academy or NLUJA Guwahati was set up in the year 2009, in order to empower the north eastern states of India with premiere legal education. The current vice chancellor of the university is Dr J S Patil.
|S.No||Courses Offered||Exam||Total Fee||Duration|
|1||B.A, LL.B (Hons.)||CLAT||9.73 lakhs||5 Years|
|2||LL.M in Corporate Laws||CLAT||2.11 lakhs|
2. Courses Offered
BA LLB (HONS)
It is a 5-year course which integrates social science subjects and law subjects. The first 2 years includes social science subjects and the latter 3 are dedicated purely to law. The university follows a semester system and the entire 5 years is split into 10 semesters.
Admission is purely dependent on CLAT rank and the preference list submitted by the candidate. Special categories can afford a wider margin of ranks compared to the general category. The candidate should have cleared class 12 with a minimum of 45%.
The NLUJA Guwahati offers a year-long post-graduate course. Based on the number of elective courses chosen by the student, LLM (general) or LLM( specialized) will be awarded. The admission is based on the performance in CLAT and the candidate should have procured a 3 year LLB degree or a 5 year integrated degree from any university that is recognized by the university grants commission and NLUJA Guwahati. The student should have a minimum of 55% marks, 50% if he belongs to a reserved category.
The NLUJA Guwahati offers a PHD programme that usually is for a period of 3 years.
To be eligible for admissions to PhD. degree programme, an applicant shall have:
- Obtained a Master’s Degree in Law from any recognized University securing not less than 55% marks or its equivalent; or
2. Obtained a Master’s Degree in any discipline from a recognized University with not less than 55% marks or its equivalent; Provided that candidates with qualifications in social sciences, humanities and sciences may be admitted to the programme if the research they wish to pursue interfaces with the discipline of law with a special focus on Public Policy or Law. Or
- Judge of any High Court in India with three years experience or Judge of the Supreme Court of India; or
- Passed the Company Secretary Examination conducted by the Institute of Company Secretaries of India and was awarded the Associate Membership of the Institute (ACS). The candidates shall be eligible for admission to the programme if the research they wish to pursue interfaces with the discipline of law with a special focus on Public Policy or Law; or
- Passed the final examination of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India, New Delhi. Provided that the candidates whose final result of the qualifying examination is awaited for any reason shall be allowed to appear provisionally in the admission test. Such candidates shall have to produce the final result of the qualifying examination at the time of the final presentation of their PhD proposals.
Provided further that the requirement of 55% marks or its equivalent at Master’s Degree is relaxed to 50% marks or its equivalent in case of candidates belonging to SC / ST/Differently Abled Persons (DAP).
Also, the Vice-Chancellor may permit a member of the National Law University, Assam faculty to take up a PhD. Degree programme along with his/her teaching assignment in the interest of faculty improvement on the condition that his/her teaching and other responsibilities are not hampered in any way provided such candidates fulfil the conditions prescribed.
3. Getting into NLUJA
3.1 For B.A. LL. B. (Hons)
The intake for the undergraduate program is 60 seats.
3.2 For LLM
The Intake for the postgraduate program is 40 Seats.
3.4 Seat Distribution Matrix
LLB (5 years): 60 and LLM: 40
PWD (People with Disability) get a 5% reservation in seat allotment both for BA LLB and LLM.
4. Fee Structure
BA LLB (HONS) INR 9.73 Lakhs
Residents: INR 2.65 Lakhs
Non-residents: INR 1.80 Lakhs
The fee structure includes Tuition fee, Hostel fee and Mess fees.