GK NewsBoard December 2019
To Download GK Newsboard December 2019 Please click here
Persons in News
1. Soma Roy Burman has taken charge as the 24th Controller General of Accounts. She is the seventh woman to hold
the post. Burman has helmed several important positions in different Union Ministries in her three-decade-long
2. On 13th December 2019, Abdelmadjid Tebboune, (74) former Prime Minister (PM) of Algeria was elected as the
President of Algeria succeeding Abdelkader Bensalah. Tebboune served as the PM from May 2017 to August 2017,
under the governance of President Abdelaziz Bouteflika.
3. On 13th December 2019, Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson won the United Kingdom (UK) general election after
his Conservative Party crossed the required majority of 326 votes of the 650 seats in the House of Commons. The
Labour party headed by Jeremy Bernard Corbyn and the Scottish National Party headed by Nicola Ferguson Sturgeon
gained 203 and 43 votes respectively. 15 Indian-origin politicians entered the UK’s House of Commons and the UK
will be removed from the European Union (EU) in January marking Johnson’s win in the general election.
4. On 6th December 2019, C. Sugandh Rajaram, IFS:2001 (Indian Foreign Service) was appointed as the High
Commissioner of India to the Republic of Ghana; He is the current Consul General, Consulate General of India,
Munich, Germany. Birender Singh Yadav, IFS: 1997 was the previous High Commissioner of India to the Republic of
5. On 3rd December 2019, Upender Singh Rawat, IFS (Indian Foreign Service) officer and the current Indian Ambassador
to the Republic of Panama has been appointed as the Indian Ambassador to the Republic of Costa Rica with a
residence in Panama City.
6. On 2nd December 2019, Prithiviraj Singh Roopun (61) was elected as the President of Mauritius by the Lawmakers
of Mauritius. Prithiviraj Roopun was the former Minister of Arts and Culture of Mauritius. He preceded Ammenah
Gurib-Fakim who resigned in March 2018. Also, Mr. Marie Cyril Eddy Boissezon appointed as the new Vice-President
of the Republic of Mauritius.
7. On 8th December 2019, Paul Adolph Volcker, former Chairman of the Federal Reserve of the United States (US)
8. On December 9, 2019 the inventor of Universal Product Code (UPC) or Barcode, George Joseph Laurer, passed
away at the age of 94 due to old age ailments in Wendell, North Carolina in the US (United States). His barcode
invention at IBM (International Business Machines) corporation, transformed the retail industries as well as other
industries across the world.
9. Google CEO Indian-American Sundar Pichai will soon take over as the CEO of Alphabet, Google’s parent company.
The move is expected to make him one of the most powerful corporate leaders of the world. The announcement
came after Google co-founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin informed about their decision to step down from the
leadership position at Alphabet.
10. Dennis Muilenburg, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of American Aerospace firm, Boeing has stepped down after
MAX 737 crashes. He will be succeeded by its Chairman David L. Calhoun. But, he will not take charge as CEO until
January 13, 2020.Untill he joins, Boeing’s Chief Financial Officer (CFO), Greg Smith will serve as interim CEO.